Pages

Thursday 13 November 2014

Jack - Mmm, That's Tasty!

Mmm, That’s Tasty! by Neville Gardner
School Journal June 2012

WALT: Begin to use a range of scientific symbols, conventions, and vocabulary.
SC:      Complete a small science report on the taste + smell experiement


  1. There are 5 main flavour receptors. Sweet, Salty, Bitter, Sour and Umami.
List some foods fit each of the flavour receptors.  

Bitter
  • Coffee
  • cocoa powder
  • vanilla essence
Salty
  • salt
  • fish
Sour
  • lemon
  • sour lollies
Sweet
  • lollies
  • chocolate
  • fruit
  • fizzy drinks
Umami (savoury)
  • pie
  • roast chicken/other roast meats

  1. Record the words you didn’t know before. Add a picture or sentence to describe what they mean.
Before I did not know what Umami meant but now I know it is a category of food that is a savoury.   


WORD
MEANING
Papillae (p.26)
a small part of the tongue
Receptor (p.26 )
a organ or cell that can sense spice, sweet and other tastes and can send them to the nerve system
texture (p.25)
a feeling of something
recognise (p.28)
to know what something is











  1. On Page 29, there is the great jelly bean challenge. Mrs Parker will provide you with some Jelly Beans (or other items) to complete this task.
    Use the template for a science report below to write what you did, and what you found.


Question: Do our taste buds require smell?

Hypothesis: Yes our taste buds do require smell because if you  block your nose and have something sweet you can only taste sugar.  

Materials: You need pen/pencil, paper, some jellybeans and a partner to record what you taste

Procedure:  (1)First you get a pencil and paper. (2)Then you close your eyes and block your nose. (3)Then get your partner to give you a jellybean and make sure your partner see’s what colour it is. (4)Then chew it and make sure you do not swallow it. (5)Then guess what flavour it is. (6)
Then unblock your nose and open your eye’s then guess the flavour again. (7)
Then get your partner to write what you said and then write the correct the flavour.   

Observations: First I blocked my nose and closed my eye’s then I ate a jellybean and chewed it I guessed that it was blue and then unblocked my nose and straight away I realised that it was red then we wrote what I guessed and the correct answer after it all.

Conclusion: What I guessed was wrong because after a bit of chewing I could only taste sugar so I took the closest guess I could think of.








0 comments:

Post a Comment